Friday, September 10, 2010

Board games...on the Interwebs

I like telling you about things that I find to be cool. You know that. But I'm telling you up front that this post is going to sound like a paid advertisement. It's not. I just sincerely like this website and encourage everyone to check it out.

I'm talking about Gametable Online. It's a community for lovers of strategy games. They've recreated impressive online versions of many of the best board and card games. You can play against other people or just the computer. They also host tournaments on a regular basis, and offer other fun incentives to encourage player participation.

I have to give them a shout out because I've had fun playing there a LOT in the past (haven't logged in recently, I'm afraid). I've discovered some new games and good people to play them with.

There are a lot of games that you can play for free, but many of the ones I like are 'premium' games that require you to purchase access to the game on their site. That's a small, one-time fee for the ability to play that particular game whenever you want.

Some of my favorite premium games are RoboRally, Nuclear War, and Guillotine. Yes, these are all games that I actually own, but I don't always have the opportunity to play them in real life. Like with so many other things on the Internet, GTO is a perfect stand-in for hanging out with real people.

If you're not interested in paying to play online games, then at least swing by to play some of the free games. They have standards like chess, backgammon, and checkers, but also more interesting games like Battle of the Bands, Kill Dr. Lucky, and Cosmic Wimpout. They even have Axis & Allies for you hardcore wargamers. Check out the games, the thorough instructions, and the in-game and out-of-game chat features.

So that's my two bits for what I think is one of the best online gaming resources out there. I really want to see it continue to be a successful website because I love playing there, and I do what I can to support websites that I like. Check it out, and let me know if you do...I'm game!

Now reading: Dead Beat by Jim Butcher (continuing to work my way through the Dresden Files a second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment