Saturday, March 06, 2010

Drive-By Truckers and other distractions

Man, I've been distracted and busy lately and fallen behind on my posting. So here's an update.

I finally kicked off my game of Savage Worlds, and am trying to keep to a weekly playing schedule, but I don't know how long I'll be able to keep it up. We're all to a fun start, but I'll put all the details on that blog rather than here.

Last weekend, a friend and I went to see Drive-By Truckers. Awesome show. They played a good mix of old and new songs, power tunes and ballads. I'd like for the pedal steel guitar to see a little more use. They closed the show with Steve McQueen, one of their top dozen songs. As they wound it up to a finish, they broke into Warren Zevon's Ain't That Pretty at All, and after that, jumped back into the chorus of Steve McQueen. Holy crap, they know how to rock.

This is the third time I've seen the Truckers, and they haven't given up an inch. I didn't stay for the encore because I had to get my car out of parking garage before lock up, so I don't know if they played as long as they used to. In the previous shows I've seen, they finished the encore set with Jim Carroll's People Who Died, another incredible piece of rock & roll that fits right in with the Truckers' style of story telling. There were way too many t-shirts for me to choose from, so I settled quickly on DBT's logo pint glass and drove all the way home with a goofy grin on my face.

Last week I sent my laptop to reform school to get its wireless network card repaired. There was a note on HP's website calling for a free warranty repair of the exact problem I've had since November, namely, the computer forgot that it had a wireless card. Then last week, I found out that my sister-in-law's Toshiba laptop was having the same problem. Is there some network card conspiracy at play here? Are they all fizzling at the same time for some reason? Anyone else out there in this boat?

I've also fallen in love with the TV show "Bones," and have been spending every waking moment watching that. TNT started over with the first season last week too, so that's even more exciting! Combine that with season 3 of Dexter (via Netflix), and my evenings are full.

And on top of all these FUN distractions, I've been busting my tail at work for the last few weeks. Not really working any additional time, but working harder and more intensely, so it's the same as working more hours. I'm exhausted at the end of the day and don't want to touch a keyboard again until I have to.

That's the quick version; more to come. Meanwhile, I have to crank up Decoration Day.

Now reading: Echo by Terry Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment