Thursday, October 22, 2009

Jealous gamer

My wife, as an elementary school teacher, roleplays more than I do, and I'm jealous. Granted, her roleplaying is usually just a means of relating to her students, often playing the part of a 2nd or 3rd grade student trying to understand a teacher's methods. But that's irrelevant, isn't it? She's indulging in imaginative play...and I'm not.

Okay, so my wife isn't infiltrating a network of spies, saving a city from a mecha-dragon with her laser vision, or falling asleep as an invisible chicken (that's her D&D specialty), but all the same, she's getting outside of herself.

Even though I work with a group of relatively imaginative people, I can tell you that roleplaying at work would be pushing things to the extreme. I mean, sure, I've often pretended that my coworkers are evil cultists trying to infect the sane world with their blasphemous terrors; who hasn't it? But I can't very well walk through the halls damning them to hell and spouting counter spells. Trust me, I've tried. Doesn't work. They just spout even more nonsense about "finding a solve for the problem" or "marshalling resources to enact greater departmental bandwidth." Seriously, how am I supposed to react to that?

When I expressed my jealousy at this, her comment was, "Well, YOU could become a teacher too." I replied appropriately. I mean, that's just too much work, never mind the responsibility. After all, being a successful teacher requires too many skill points. It doesn't leave enough points to spend on sneaking or sword-wielding. And I like a little bit of dice rolling with my roleplaying too.

No comments:

Post a Comment