Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Waking up in Vermont

I found this as a saved draft that I forgot to publish while on vacation. Rather than let it go to waste, I'm going to go ahead and post it, better late than never.

Roll out onto the balcony, maybe grab a blanket from the couch on the way.

Kick back in a chair and watch the fluffy clouds crawl across the mountain range in the near-distance. Their grays and whites battle for dominance in the cool morning air, a civil war amongst the air currents.

The morning's chill feels good on my bed-warmed limbs. The birds of early August sing their greetings to the dawn though there's no sun in sight yet. I sit there in the quiet, listening, watching, feeling the clean air fill my lungs. It smells and tastes of earth that's fresh, clean. I have a paperback in my lap, but it's for comfort rather than reading. The experience is almost perfect.

Then my wife appears, pulling up another chair to join me in the quiet. Hand in hand as the clouds crawl and play on that damp, green mountain range. Now it's perfect.


Playing on XM: Commander Cody - "Mama hated diesels"

No comments:

Post a Comment