Friday, November 02, 2007

Blood-sucking vampires are real!

Happy Halloween! Let me tell you about mine...

Monday I went home from work early. I didn't feel well. No really bad symptoms, just weak, dizzy, tired...you know, not right. I assumed I was coming down with something. Tuesday morning I awake to find a sore spot on my upper arm which turned out to be a nasty tick not just attached to my arm, but almost embedded in my arm. I failed my sanity check and completely shut down.

A few hours later I was at my doctor's office. He was giddy from the moment he entered the exam room, clearly looking forward to performing a “tick removal.” He took a look at the beast embedded in my arm and excitedly told me all of his gore-filled horror stories about tick patients. If you can imagine Larry the Cable Guy with a stethoscope draped around his neck…that’s my doctor. He quickly & easily removed the nasty tick with a pair of tiny tweezers, then had entirely too much fun digging in my arm with a scalpel blade “just to make sure” he got it all.

That was my Halloween story...it occurred the day before Halloween. I survived, and with the help of a round of tetracycline, I avoided lyme disease. But man, I'll tell you, I've always hated ticks, and this was a very creepy experience.

Now reading: I just finished Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis
(we live in a freaky world - on his blog, he reported that everything in his book came from real-world events he saw in the news)

Playing on XM: Billy Joe Shaver

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:57 PM

    this is why you should ALWAYS check yourself over REAL good, put frontline on Slammer, & keep your grass mowed as low as possible!

    we've found them on us before too not as bad though. we've found them in our hair, on our clothes.

    Tony even found one on him somewhere that if i told you that YOU REALLY WOULD SCREAM!!!

    we've got double the problem because we've got (2) dogs: Cinnamon & Shadow. (1) you just have to run your fingers threw the hair to find ticks/fleas. the other you have to have a magnifing glass to find ticks/fleas.

    ReplyDelete